Friday 31 August 2012

Visit to Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia


The very first question I ask myself when I first saw Islamic Museum is: why its architecture is designed such ‘fair and square’ without any curvy structure? Even the floor plan also looks weird. It divided into four sections: north, east, west and south. Why?  
 

After I saw the slide of ‘architecture of Islamic building’ in 1st floor, I realized that this museum had applied the bi-axial iwan plan which had been widely used at the mosque design in central Asia and Iran. The most striking mosque modeling in 1st floor will be the octave Islamic building- Dome of the Rock. It possessed a great golden dome like a disco ball. It’s just too cool!
 
 

Next, there is a series of Quran books from different period in the section next to these mosque modeling. It’s a bit bored here as I don’t understand the content inside. However, the miniature Quran captured my attention in the most. It’s very unique in its size and design as there are for soldier used. Portable will be the main aspect of the design.
Miniature Quran
 
The miniature Quran which I like the most.
 
 
There is a lot of antique which amazed me in this museum, such as:
 

Spiky container which looks like a durian.

The development of Islamic pattern design
I wonder how they hold these gun as its extreme width 


After the tour, I had a better understanding on the Islamic architecture and its art influences. I felt that it’s really worth to pay a small amount of money to gain a huge amount of knowledge in this museum.
 
 
by Tan Keh Guan (1201123)      

No comments:

Post a Comment